It Really Pays To Be Smart Thanks To Our Scholarship Program.
We’re all about helping members improve their lives.
COPFCU is proud to provide scholarships to members seeking to better their lives through continuing education. COPFCU awards $15,000 in scholarships as follows:
- Irvin Specht Memorial Scholarship – $4,000
- Emily Argo Memorial Scholarship – $4,000
- Bright Futures Scholarship – $4,000
- First Runner Up Scholarship – $1,500
- Second Runner Up Scholarship – $1,500
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a COPFCU member in good standing
- Be at least a senior in high school or current student enrolled full-time in any post-high school institution
- Submit proof of full-time acceptance/ enrollment for the 2024-2025 term
- Submit proof of cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher for the most recent school term
- Submit all required items by 5:00pm EST on February 15, 2024
Irvin Specht Memorial Scholarship
This scholarship was created in 1989 to honor the legacy of “Uncle Irv,” who served as volunteer Treasurer in 1954 and went on to become the Manager of the credit union. After retiring from the credit union, he served on the Board of Directors from 1981 to 1994 when he retired from the Board and was named Director Emeritus. “Uncle Irv” was known for his willingness to help people in need.
Emily Argo Memorial Scholarship
This scholarship was created to honor the legacy of Emily Argo, a 1995 recipient of the Irvin Specht Scholarship. Emily was Valedictorian of her Taylor High School class. After graduating from Ohio Northern University with a degree in Biology and Environmental Science, Emily went on to pursue her passion of studying marine animals. Tragedy struck in January 2003 when the plane Emily was on crashed during a routine flight to track the North Atlantic Right Whales.