Online Privacy and Security
USA Patriot Act
To help the government fight the funding of terrorism and money-laundering activities, federal law requires all financial institutions to obtain, verify, and record information that identifies each person who opens an account.
What this means for you: When you open an account, we will ask for your name, address, date of birth, and other information that will allow us to identify you. We may also ask to see your driver’s license or other identifying documents.
Protecting Children’s Privacy Online
The Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) was passed by Congress in October 1998, with a requirement that the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) issue and enforce rules concerning children’s online privacy. The primary goal of the Act and the Rule is to place parents in control over what information is collected from their children online. COPFCU does not knowingly collect, nor are our services directed to use personal information from children under the age of 13 without containing verifiable consent from parents/guardians.
Information We Collect
The types of personal information we collect and share depend on the product or service you have with us. This information can include:
- Social Security number and account balances
- Checking account information and credit scores
- Payment history and transaction or loss history
When you are no longer a member of COPFCU, we continue to share your information as described in this notice.
How We Use Personal Information
We may use the information we collect for the following purposes:
- For everyday business purposes, such as processing your transactions, maintaining your accounts, and responding to inquiries and fulfilling your requests
- To deliver marketing communications that we believe may be of interest to you
- To inform you about important information regarding the website, products or services for which you apply or may be interested in applying for, or in which you are already enrolled, changes to terms, conditions, and policies and/or other administrative information
- To allow you to apply for products or services (e.g., to prequalify for a mortgage, apply for a credit card, or to open an account) and evaluate your eligibility for such products or services
- To verify your identity and/or location in order to allow access to your accounts, conduct online transactions and to maintain measures aimed at preventing fraud and protecting the security of your account and personal information
- To allow you to participate in surveys and other forms of market research, sweepstakes, contests and similar promotions and to administer these activities. Some of these activities have additional rules, which may contain additional information about how personal information is used and shared
- For risk control, for fraud detection and prevention, to comply with laws and regulations, and to comply with other legal process and law enforcement requirements
How We Collect Personal Information
We collect your personal information when you:
- Open an account or apply for a loan
- Provide us information on any online application or transaction, or information you send to us by email or text
- Use your credit or debit card to pay your bills
- Make deposits or withdrawals from your accounts
We also collect your personal information from others, such as credit bureaus, affiliates, or other companies.
COPFCU provides links to third party vendors throughout our website in hopes of providing quick and easy access to information related to your financial needs. These links are provided for the convenience of our members and are not specifically endorsed by the credit union. COPFCU is not responsible for the content presented on these sites.
We respect your privacy and we work hard to protect your personal information. If you have any questions, please contact us.